Surgery remains to be a useful technique for treating several joint problems, especially those that involve mechanical damage to the joints. However, traditional operations require large incisions that result in longer recovery time, significantly more pain for the patient, and other side effects. Advances in joint surgery have led to the arthroscope, a specialized device that allows doctors to perform better, faster, and minimally invasive surgeries.
Before the advent of arthroscopic surgery, surgeons had no choice but to cut through large areas of tissue to gain physical access to the joint. Most surgical tools required a lot of free space to function correctly because of their size. Many times, surgeons also had to rely only on their eyes to inspect the different structures of the joint, requiring them to cut through several layers of tissue to gain access.
To allow direct viewing access of the joint while minimizing tissue trauma, doctors developed small optical and lighting systems that can fit inside a small tube. This instrument is called the arthroscope. Soon, miniature surgery tools were created to be used alongside the arthroscope to perform surgery without the need to make large incisions.
Advantages of Arthroscopic Surgery
Arthroscopic surgery offers many benefits. Here are some of them:
- Faster Recovery – Patients who get surgery arthroscopically have shorter recovery periods. This is because there is less trauma to their bodies. With miniature incisions, less tissue is damaged in the process of performing surgery. Therefore, the body has to do less healing after the surgery.
- Less scars – Arthroscopic procedures require smaller and few incisions, which leads to less stitches used and smaller, less visible scars as remnants of the procedure. This is especially useful for surgeries performed in areas of the body that are often visible, such as the legs.
- Less pain – Arthroscopic procedures are often less painful for patients. There is less tissue trauma and smaller wounds that need to heal, which means patients experience less pain than with traditional surgery.
- Less reliance on medications – Also, because patients experience less pain and have shorter recovery periods, they rely on pain medications for a shorter time. This helps reduce side effects associated with these medications and an over-reliance on them.
- Shorter hospital stays – Arthroscopic procedures require shorter hospital stays. There is less trauma, pain, and wound sizes associated with such procedures, which means patients are able to go to home quicker. Many arthroscopic procedures are even performed on an outpatient-basis, which means patients can go home on the same day as their procedure.
Arthroscopy Surgery in Westlake and Avon, Ohio
Arthroscopy allows doctors to perform many procedures without making large incisions. Arthroscopy procedures are also quicker to perform and safer. Talk to a surgeon today to find out if it is the right procedure for you.
Located in Westlake and Avon, Ohio, Orthopaedic Associates provides compassionate care and the latest medical technologies. Our medical team has experience utilizing new orthopedic techniques, including arthroscopy surgery.
To see how we can help you, make an appointment today by calling us at (440) 892-1440 or (866) 362-7624. You can also request an appointment online.