You can tell that an orthopedist can provide the exceptional service you need not only by their impeccable credentials but also by the following personal and professional qualities:
- Great bedside manner. Expertise is essential, but so is a caring and personable attitude toward one’s patients. You want an orthopedic surgeon who treats patients with concern and respect. There’s nothing worse than a doctor who is aloof, cut and dry, or coldly analytical. The whole point of being an orthopedic specialist is to provide relief and healing to patients in pain. The best orthopedists know how to strike a balance between professionalism and compassion, putting their patients at ease so together they can work as a team to repair and recover from illness or injury.
- Demonstrative mechanical skill. All orthopedic surgeons have years of medical training. The most outstanding, however, have excellent dexterity and hand coordination. How would a patient know if a particular orthopedist is a maestro in the operating room? One clue is the specialist’s years of experience. Their list of certifications and awards are another. But perhaps the most telling indication is word-of-mouth in the form of favorable patient testimonials.
- Leadership ability. Exceptional orthopedic surgeons often occupy senior positions on a medical team. This demonstrates that they have the initiative and are at ease leading other professionals within their practice, in the operating room, or by spearheading a special research project. This take-charge attitude exudes confidence and commitment, qualities that can greatly benefit their patients.
- Flexible outlook. Rather than rigidly adhering to a cookie-cutter approach to medicine, a knowledgeable and accommodating orthopedic specialist is willing to explore numerous options to tailor a treatment plan to a patient’s specific needs. In addition, they are willing to invest as much time and effort as necessary to find the best therapeutic solution to a patient’s problem.
- Willingness to keep learning. Instead of resting on their laurels, a great orthopedic surgeon will keep up on the latest, evolving developments in surgical techniques and technology and apply this newfound knowledge to the benefit of his or her clientele.
- Realistic approach. The finest orthopedic surgeons will not sell their patients a bill of goods. They will consider every possible means of treatment available but will also be frank and realistic about possible outcomes. They will honestly tell you whether or not you are a suitable candidate for a complex surgery.
At Orthopaedic Associates, we consistently strive to meet these standards of professional exceptionalism. That’s because we know that if you or a loved one is suffering pain as the result of an injury, you need a reputable, board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon who can educate you about your options. The staff at Orthopaedic Associates utilizes both cutting-edge therapies and traditional treatments to address a variety of painful conditions. For more information, or to schedule a consultation, call (440) 892-1440.