Kinesiology is an anatomical science that focuses on the treatment of connective tissue, joints, muscles, and tendons – the science of muscular and skeletal movement. The holistic technology of kinesiology tape was developed to balance bodily health, endurance, and energy, without the use of medications or surgery.
Kinesiology views the body as machinery that is controlled by a complex computer – the brain – which constantly communicates with the hundreds of muscles and other tissues throughout the body.
Healthy muscles are balanced; unhealthy, overstressed muscles are imbalanced and weak. Kinesiology aims to maintain balance in the muscles and adjoining tissues, and one of the methods of doing this is by simply wrapping the muscles and surrounding tissues with the supportive material called kinesiology tape.
What Is Kinesiology Tape?
Kinesiology tape is constructed of fine, breathable, stretchable material, usually cotton or a cotton blend. Its elasticity does not overly restrict the area of application, and it is designed to provide just enough pressure and support to facilitate strength in the muscles and tissues.
This tape adheres to the skin with a medically approved, water- and sweat-proof adhesive. It comes in latex-free and hypoallergenic varieties for people who may be allergic to latex. The tape can usually stay in place for three or four days even while showering or exercising.
Positive results are reported to be felt within 24 hours for many users of kinesiology tape.
How Does Kinesiology Tape Work?
The kinesiology taping method is based on the science of maintaining support to the body while allowing blood and other bodily fluids to move freely through and around the injured muscle. Kinesiology tape stabilizes the injured area by lightly adhering to the skin and applying pressure to the tissues the tape is wrapped around.
This tape allows the connective tissue surrounding the affected muscle or tendon to move along with the body. It gently allows the free flow of blood and lymphatic fluid to cleanse and heal the inflammation without the use of medications or surgery.
This special tape helps to improve circulation, support muscles, allow the internal injury to heal, and help prevent further muscle injury while still allowing motion.
Who Can Be Helped by Kinesiology Taping?
Any soft-tissue injury or pain can benefit from kinesiology taping – everyone from a young athlete with overused or injured muscles to an elderly person with a degenerative joint disease.
Kinesiology taping can help:
- Those whose professions involve hard physical labor and repetitive movements (construction workers, factory workers, gardeners, mechanics, miners, secretaries, etc.)
- People who sit and work at a desk for long periods every day, or who have sedentary lifestyles.
- Athletes and other physically active people, including cyclists, golfers, joggers, and other exercise enthusiasts or those involved in sports.
- People who suffer the after-effects of bad posture, poor sleeping habits, etc.
- Joint pain sufferers.
- People suffering from joint, muscle, or tendon injuries of any kind, whether due to disease or accidents.
Areas of the body where kinesiology tape is commonly used include:
5 Benefits of Kinesiology Taping
The goals of kinesiology taping are to improve circulation, support muscles, foster healing, and help prevent injury or further injury.
Five of the top benefits of using this method are:
- Decreased Pain: By gently applying pressure, kinesiology tape helps to disrupt and dissipate pain.
- Increased Circulation and Decreased Inflammation: The tape can help remove congestion while allowing efficient circulation of oxygenated blood and lymphatic fluids. Circulation flushes out irritants, thereby reducing inflammation and chemical buildup and fostering a speedy recovery.
- Improved Posture and Muscle Support: Taping areas that veer away from correct posture can help gently support proper posture. Proper taping also enables weak muscles to function efficiently, reduces pain and fatigue, and protects against cramping, over-extension, and over-contraction.
- Improved Athletic Performance: By supporting unstable joints and delivering slight pressure to “sleeping” muscles, taping can prompt higher performance. Unlike other assistive devices that can lead to dependence on them for stability and support, kinesiology tape trains the body to become independent and efficient.
- Supported endogenous analgesic system: The tape enables the body’s own healing mechanisms to work in the recovery process. (“Endogenous” means “internal,” and “analgesic” means “relieving pain.”)
Who Can Help With My Muscle Pain and Joint Issues?
Kinesiology taping been reported to have positive physiological effects on the lymphatic and circulatory system, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints. Our specialized staff can help explain how to best utilize this method to alleviate your pain and other orthopedic issues.
The staff at Orthopaedic Associates utilizes both cutting-edge therapies and traditional treatments to address a variety of orthopedic conditions. For more information or to schedule a consultation, call (440) 892-1440 or fill out our easy-to-use online appointment request form. We look forward to helping you feel better and have a more pain-free lifestyle.